Frequently Asked Questions

Moving to Oxford and starting a new life at St Hugh’s College can be overwhelming. Don’t worry; we are all here to help you, starting with this comprehensive list of frequently asked questions!

If you can’t find the answer to your question below, please reach out to the MCR Committee, which will point you in the right direction:

I’ve just arrived in Oxford for the first time. Where do I go?

As a general rule, the Porters’ Lodge located at the main entrance on St Margaret’s Road is your first port of call. The lovely Porters are available 24/7 to help you.

I’ve had an emergency happen to me on campus. Where do I go?

The Porters!
If you need to call them, the number is: 01865 274 900  
The Porters are all trained in first aid and must be contacted in the event of all emergencies. If necessary, they will call an ambulance to the nearest accident and emergency (A&E) department. This is normally the John Radcliffe (JR) hospital, which is about 10 minutes away

I have a personal issue and I’d like to be discreet about it. Who do I contact?

Depending on the situation, there are multiple routes you can follow:

I’ve noticed something in my room, kitchen, or elsewhere on campus is broken. To whom should I report this?

Please submit a detailed (and friendly!) maintenance request ASAP: You will need to be logged into the College VPN to do so.
If there is a problem with the washing/drying machines specifically, please follow the instructions posted in the laundry room.

My key card won’t work/I’ve locked myself out. Where do I go?

The Porters!
At the start of the academic year, you will need to activate your card at the front door (hold it against the sensor for a few seconds until the sensor beeps and turns green). Repeat this throughout the year if your card suddenly stops working. If you have locked your key card in your room, the Porters will be able to temporarily loan you a spare.
Please note that the scouts will lock your room after cleaning, so be sure to have your access key/card on you at all times.

I have a package that needs to be delivered. Where should I send it?

The Lodge! This is mandatory for all those living on campus, but anyone who is a member of the College can have their packages delivered here. The Porters are available 24/7, so there is no risk of your package being left in the rain or relying on your housemates to be home. Once your package has been delivered, you will receive an email from the Porters letting you know it is ready for collection. Please collect packages as soon as possible, as space is limited.

Address your packages as follows:
Your full name
St Hugh’s College
St Margaret’s Road

My bicycle tyres are flat. What should I do?

Go to the Lodge! They have a bike pump you can use.

Alternatively, Walton’s Street Cycles in Jericho is an exceptionally friendly place to go for some extra help.

I live on campus and I would like to order some food. Where should I meet the driver?

This depends on where you are living. The MCR, Banbury, and Canterbury Houses open onto public roads, so you can use the street address for deliveries. Please just remember that the doorbell may ring in someone’s room, so be sure to avoid it being rung at 3am :)!
Residents of the Dickson Poon building (DPB) can collect orders from the Canterbury Gate; just remember that this gate closes at night.
If you live closer to St Margaret’s Road, the Lodge is the most convenient point of call.

I need to do my laundry; where can I go on campus?

There are laundry facilities in the MCR House (go through the kitchen), in 13 Canterbury (please use the back entrance), as well as in the Maplethorpe building.
Washing costs £2.30 and a dryer cycle is £1.30. Payment is contactless with a bank card (not your Bod card).
Please be considerate while using the laundry facility and collect your clothing as soon as the time is up.

I need to do some printing; where can I go on campus?

The MCR House and the Library (open 24/7) have printing facilities. Printing jobs can be submitted at the following link (requires SSO sign-in): You can also print directly from the library computers, which gives you some more flexibility with your printing options.

I’m looking for the … (Constitution, Facebook page, Fresher’s Guide, names of the current committee)?

The most up-to-date links can be found on the College’s main website:

What is a Term Card and where can I find the MCR Term card?

A term card is a calendar detailing all the events taking place during a term (Michaelmas, Hilary and Trinity). The St Hugh’s MCR Term card is shared by the President by email (it should be somewhere in your inbox) and the weekly bulletin sent out by the Secretary will detail any updates.

I’d like to make use of the MCR Facilities (BBQ, lounge, party room, sports equipment)?

There are sign-up sheets shared by email as well as on the Facebook page.
Please note, parties of more than 10 people need College approval, and these requests need to be submitted two weeks in advance (non-negotiable). A link will be shared by the President at the start of term.
Please clean up after yourself and use the correct bins.
Questions can be submitted to the President or VP, or Sports Rep as needed:

I can no longer attend a formal. What should I do with my ticket?

You are encouraged to sell it directly to another MCR member. However, please note these can only be resold for the same price that you paid for them. This is a measure to ensure equal access for all to this very special part of College life.

What is the MCR?

The Middle Common Room – this refers to both the graduate student body of St Hugh’s College as well as our communal space. This term is used across Oxford (JCR = Junior Common Room, SCR = Senior Common Room), with some Colleges referring to their graduate student community and communal spaces as the GCR (Graduate Common Room).

What is matriculation?

Matriculation occurs at the start of your first degree in Oxford. This is the ceremony to confer your membership to the University. You will matriculate with your other Fresher’s at St Hugh’s in the Sheldonian while wearing your sub fusc and gown
This is a special day and you should consider keeping it free to enjoy with your new friends. You’ll receive detailed guidance from the College, but it’s worth remembering not to wear your graduation cap and follow the dress code as best you can.

What does this weirdly specific, English-sounding term mean?

Chances are, you’ve stumbled across one of our beloved, overly specific Oxford terms. Don’t worry, soon you’ll be confusing your friends at home as well! In the meantime, you can look up most meanings here: